HOW TO TAKE THE PILLS FOR YOUR ABORTION (MIFEPRISTONE AND MISOPROSTOL)
You will take 2 sets of pills for your abortion. These pills have close to the same name, but
are different. You will take a pill at the clinic on Day 1. You will take other pills at home on
Day 2 or on Day 3.
- The pill you will take at the clinic (Day 1) is called mifepristone.
• The pill you will take at home (Day 2 or 3) are called misoprostol.
Day 1: what to take at the clinic or home ? You will take a mifepristone pill at the clinic.
You will also get antibiotic pills to take. Please make sure that you take all of the antibiotics we give
Getting ready for Day 2 or 3: you will bleed and have cramps after you take the misoprostol pills
at home. So you’ll want to plan ahead before you take them:
• Choose a time when you can be private and rest for a while after you take them.
• Plan to have someone you trust on hand to help you out.
• Buy maxi pads, pain medicine, food, and anything else you will need to make yourself relaxed.
• Have books or videos to help you pass the time.
Day 2 or 3: how do I take the misoprostol pills?
• You will take the misoprostol pills at home on Day 2 or 3 (24—48 hours
after taking the mifepristone at the clinic).
• Take the anti-nausea pills, if we gave them to you, and pain pills to prevent
cramps. You can use ibuprofen (Motrin). Follow the directions on the bottle.
Do not take aspirin, because it will make you bleed more.
• Wait 30 minutes.
• Take the 4 misoprostol pills. Put 2 pills on one side of your mouth, and the
other 2 on the other side of your mouth. Wait 3 minutes for the pill to
dissolve. After 30 minutes, swallow what is left of the pills.